So, today, was kind of an awakening.
Today was an off day for me and I trooped down the the Toys R Us warehouse sale. I didn't manage to buy anything. Not because I was late and everything had been snapped up, but because...there was simply NOTHING to buy for him. As I scanned the items, I checked them off in my head..."this...too young for him. this...also too young for him. this...he's gonna outgrow it soon." You get the picture.
So what did I get in the end? A neon yellow bouncy ball and a set of twistable jumbo crayon pens.


When I got home, and I looked at my purchases (or lack of), it occured to me that, hey, the kind of "toys" I'm buying for Ignatius has changed! The things I got, were big boy toys. And I realised I had also printed out a colouring book of Sesame Street characters for him the day before (hence the crayons). This is really the start of the next stage of his life!
And as I stand at the frontier of the next stage, I want to consciously note down the wonder and pride I feel. My boy is growing up. How exciting, how amazing, how gratifying, how TERRIFYING! I mean, this brings forth a whole new level of responsibilities! *freak out*
Alright, let's push that frightening thought aside and concentrate on my new purchases today.
The Bouncy Ball
Bought this to occupy ourselves at Botanical Gardens while Daddy jogs.
I bounced it in front of him, and was pleasantly surprised to see him intrigued. Then I realised that he's never seen anyone bouncing a ball before. Hmmm. Ok.
He grabs it, and hangs on to it, and starts walking around. Hmmm. I tag along and try to hit the ball out of his hands, only to get a shriek of possessiveness from him. Hmmm Hmmm. The purist in me screams at me to show him how a ball should be treated: BOUNCED! But the now wiser me takes a deep breath and continues to tag along. Finally he drops the ball and I grab it and start bouncing it like my life depended on it. (ok those who know me, don't laugh). Yeah yeah I tried to make it seem like I was playing "catch" the ball with him, that is, get him to try and catch the ball when it's at its peak, then wham it down when Ignatius makes a move to grab it. THANKFULLY, he's suitably tickled and tries to bounce, ...actually...WHACK, the ball as well. Mommy sits back, appeased.
Yao Ming here we come!
Of course when Daddy came home later, he preferred to show Ignatius that the ball is for Kicking. *roll eyes*
The Colouring Pages and Crayons
After seeing the success of the Doodle Pad we got him, I decided to try him out on crayons and colour materials. However, considering that at this stage, he's more likely to scribble than colour, I decided to save some $$ and print the colouring pages off the webby instead.
I surfed by Sesame Street, and found these! Perfect! (mommies out there who want a copy, just drop me a note!) 

He's such a little Picasso ain't he? *beam with pride*

